- 1977 – Admitted at the Faculté de Medecine Xavier Bichat, Université de Paris VI
- 1983 – Graduated in Medicine by the Faculdade de Ciências Médicas da Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
- 1986 – General fellowship
- 1992 – Qualification as Internist after public curricular examination
- 1994 – Qualification as Cardiologist by the College of Physicians, after National public curricular, theoretical and practical examinations. Classified with “Unanimously and Distinction”
- 2001 – European Cardiologist by the European Society of Cardiology
- 2003 – Qualification in Emergency Medicine by the Portuguese College of Physicians
- 2008 – PhD in Medicine. Thesis on heart failure diagnosis
- Senior Internist and Cardiologist. Head of the Heart Failure Unit, Dep. of Med., S. Francisco Xavier Hospital, Lisboa • Head of Day Hospital, S. Francisco Xavier Hospital, Lisboa, Portugal.
- Professor of Medicine I and Therapeutics, Faculdade de Ciências Médicas da Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
Clinical Researcher since 1984:
- Heart Failure: special interest in Diagnosis, Epidemiology and Drug Therapy.
- Principal Investigator or co-investigator of several National and International Multicenter Trials in the field of Heart Failure and Acute Coronary Syndromes treatment and heart failure epidemiology, and heart failure registries.
- National Coordinator and Member of the Steering Committee of CORONA, EPICA, EPICA-RAM, ATMOSPHERE studies, ESC Heart Failure long-term Registry, QUALIFY Registry, RELAX-HF EU.
- Principal Investigator of a National epidemiological Trial in the field of Anemia: the EMPIRE Study
- Co-investigator of RICOVER and REMEDY International Trials, in the field of oral anticoagulation
- Natriuretic peptides, Ventricular function, Cardiomyopathies (Familial Amyloidotic Polyneuropathy), Clinical Pharmacokinetics, Oral Anticoagulation, Anemia
Active member of:
- Portuguese Society of Cardiology
- Member of the Board, European Society of Cardiology, Portuguese Society of Internal Medicine, Anemia Working Group Portugal
- Author or co-author of more than 100 publications and more than 400 abstracts, mostly in Heart Failure field.